COUPLES THERAPY AND ITS GOALS: Couples Therapy is specifically geared towards helping couples develop a closer connection and attachment to each other so that they can support each other, identify and discuss their own needs, create a safe haven where discussions and disagreements can occur with positive results and where communication is clear and understandable.
COUPLES THERAPY TECHNIQUES: We use a variety of techniques to support couples in developing a better understanding of themselves and each other, a stronger connection to each other and a safe haven to share their needs and wants. Primarily, we employ the use of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT), developed by Dr. Sue Johnson. This therapeutic approach is one in which couples learn to get in touch with their own feelings, needs and wants and then work towards being able to express these to each other in a safe, caring environment. EFT is a structured approach to couples therapy formulated in the early 80's by Drs. Sue Johnson and Les Greenberg. EFT can also be used with families. The process involves a phase of “de-escalation” (helping the couple to reduce the stress and tension in their relationship), a phase of re-connection to each other by learning to understand and express their own needs and wants to each other, and a final phase of maintaining a new, more positive cycle of connection and support. A substantial body of research outlining the effectiveness of EFT now exists. Research studies find that 70-75% of couples move from distress to recovery and approximately 90% show significant improvements.
Strengths of Emotionally Focused Therapy:
● It is based on clear, explicit conceptualizations of marital/couple distress and adult love and is supported by over 20 years of empirical research on the nature of marital/couple distress and adult attachment.
● It is collaborative and respectful of clients.
● It’s change strategies and interventions are specified.
● It has been applied to many different kinds of relationship problems and cultures around the world.
POSSIBLE BENEFITS OF COUPLES THERAPY
● Develop understanding about yourself and your partner’s emotional needs and wants
● Develop a safe haven where fears, needs and longings can be expressed and heard.
● Develop a more positive cycle of connection and interaction.
● Create a feeling of reassurance that the other person is “there for you”.
● Develop healthier interactions and communication skills with your partner and therefore a more satisfying relationship.
● Learn skills to resolve conflicts in your relationship.
● Experience a reduction in depression, anxiety and stress.
Goals of Emotionally Focused Therapy:
● To expand and re-organize key emotional responses–the music of the attachment dance.
● To create a shift in partners' interactional positions and initiate new cycles of interaction.
● To foster the creation of a secure bond between partners.